!Hubzilla Support Forum
Ben Friedland, one of the members of the Facebook group "LEDS ARE AWESOME" recently advocated that the group switch to Reddit
Like many of you, I'm about to ditch FB. I propose those of us who would like to keep in touch subscribe to the subreddit which we formed around this same group:
Admins/mods here, please feel free to PM me and I'll make you a mod. Not trying to steal a community, just trying to make sure I still have this awesome resource after leaving FB.
In response, I pitched the idea of moving to Hubzilla instead:
Thanks for creating an alternative! Unfortunately, I don't think Reddit is much better, IMHO. They just axed a bunch of subreddits without warning, affecting tens of thousands of users. They're in the process of rolling out UI changes that will make Reddit look more like Facebook (and, coincidentally, open up more space for ads).
You'll still be at the mercy of an giant, uncaring corporation that censors you, spies on you, and basically doesn't give a crap about you except to the extent that it can sell your eyeballs to advertisers. Only it will be CondÃ© Nast instead of Facebook.
Consider joining the Hubzilla Federation instead. I've created a channel for LEDS ARE AWESOME here:
My personal channel is here (feel free to add me):
...and cloned here:
Christopher M. Rasch
* Easily port your channels from one hub to another. Don't like your current hub? Clone your account to a new hub in a few minutes. Both clones can easily be synced with each other. Neither your identity, your contacts, or your content are trapped.
* Very fine grained control over access/privacy. Hubzilla makes it easy to create different persona's for different audience.
* No ads, no tracking, no spying.
* Completely open source. If you're technically inclined, you can host your own hub.
* UI can takes some getting used to
* Hubs can be a little flakey (most are self-hosted labors of love)
Intrigued? Consider checking out Sean Tilley's detail review of Hubzilla
to learn more about what Hubzilla has to offer.